Job Shadow Day is an opportunity for students to spend a day with a workplace mentor (Host) in order to learn about a career and observe daily work activities. Also, it is an academically motivating experience that provides students with a real look at the world of work while answering the all too common question, “Why do I have to learn this?”
The Cupertino High School PTSA is excited to offer a Job Shadow Day Program for our students again on Monday, March 16, 2020.
Benefits of Job Shadowing
Job shadowing can be a beneficial and rewarding experience in numerous ways. By participating in job shadow day program, you will:
- Develop a more realistic outlook on a career. As you participate in job shadowing, you will learn in depth about the educational preparation, competencies, and personal skills that are required to enter that specific field.
- Understand better what you want and do not want in a career. Job shadowing allows you to see firsthand what tasks are required for a certain position. You will witness and possibly perform duties that you enjoy and some that you do not enjoy. This will help you make an informed decision about whether you want to pursue a career in that particular field.
- Be introduced to a career that you may not have considered. If you partake in a variety of job shadowing events, then you may be introduced to a career field that you had not even considered. And who knows, you may enjoy the encounter so much that you decide to major in a field of study for that career.
- Gain an awareness of the academic, technical, and personal skills required for particular jobs
- Make all the important connection between school, work, and achieving goals
The Day of Your Job Shadowing Event
You want to learn as much as possible and make a positive impression on the day of your job shadowing event. Be sure to follow these guidelines.
- Dress according to the standards of the particular job site.
- Arrive 10 to 15 minutes before the scheduled time.
- Call the company/host and Tino’s Job Shadow Day committee if you are unable to attend on the scheduled day.
- Plan to purchase or pack your lunch depending on the time of your shadowing schedule. Some companies will provide lunch for their job shadowing participants, but you should bring lunch money or pack your lunch just in case.
- Participate in daily tasks when asked and offer to do so when appropriate.
- Take good notes.
- Ask questions if you need clarification about certain aspects of the job.
- Thank the person that you shadowed on the day of the event and send a thank you note a few days later.
- Reflect on your job shadowing experience. What did you learn? How did the experience help prepare you for your future career?